What an inspiring individual! And think how he has impacted all of our lives! During his career, he came to believe that the country's overall health depended on the health of its population, writing that "physical culture and nutrition — is the salvation of America."
Below are some quotes from Jack, that I felt might inspire you:
The only way you can hurt the body is not use it.
- Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late.
- I'll tell you one thing, you don't always have to be on the go. I sit around a lot, I read a lot, and I do watch television. But I also work out for two hours every day of my life, even when I'm on the road.
- How do you build up your bank account? By putting something in it everyday.Your health account is no different. What I do today, I am wearing tomorrow. If I put inferior foods in my body today, I'm going to be inferior tomorrow, it's that simple.
- Do you know how many calories are in butter and cheese and ice cream? Would you get your dog up in the morning for a cup of coffee and a donut?
Focus on your problem zones, your strength, your energy, your flexibility and all the rest. Maybe your chest is flabby or your hips or waist need toning. Also, you should change your program every thirty days. That's the key.
I do it as a therapy. I do it as something to keep me alive. We all need a little discipline. Exercise is my discipline.
- I only eat fish, no chicken, no turkey, just fish. I get all my protein from fish and egg whites.
I'd rather see you drink a glass of wine than a glass of milk. What's the good of living if you can't have the things that give a little enjoyment?
So many people drink Coca-Cola and all these soft drinks with sugar. Some of these drinks have 8 or 9 teaspoons of sugar in them.
If you've got a big gut and you start doing sit-ups, you are going to get bigger because you build up the muscle. You've got to get rid of that fat! How do you get rid of fat? By changing your diet.
Millions of Americans got up this morning with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a donut. No wonder they are sick and fouled up.
Remember this: your body is your slave; it works for you.